Dating site single marriage solomon island com
It is now home to around sixty-five thousand people.The land of present-day Honiara was part of Ndi-Nggai territory and the main villages were at Mataniko and Kakambona to the east and west of the Point Cruz, respectively.
1940-1950s In December 1947, Qantas Empire Airways surveyed a possible new route from Australia via New Britain, Guadalcanal and Nauru, extending its 'Bird of Paradise' service.
Qantas began regular charter services in June 1949, including the monthly Catalina flying boats of Trans Oceanic Airways, which operated out of Sydney to New Caledonia, New Hebrides and Tulagi.
However, this purchase was later disputed when Suala, chief of the Gombata descent group living at Mataniko village claimed that Woodhouse had only purchased the land east of Tanakaki belonging to the Simbo people.
The deeds seem to have been renegotiated on 18 December 1896, by Woothia (Uvothea) of Langa (Lungga), Allea of Manago, and his son Manungo.
(Bathgate 1977, 5) No one thought about asking permission from the people of the area; after all, the land had been alienated for more than half a century.
And no one thought to ask other Solomon Islanders if they would like a new capital perched on a narrow coastal plain backed by dry coral rock ridges, all very sunny, exposed and infertile.
Some flights flew from Sydney to Honiara via Papua New Guinea, then on to Barakoma (a wartime airstrip on Vella Lavella) and the private Levers Pacific Plantations airstrip at Yandina, Russell Islands.
Trans-Australia Airways (TAA) and Fiji Airways began services in 1952 using the same route, at first landing at Honiara's Kukum Fighter II airfield and later at Henderson Airfield, after it was upgraded.
(Laracy 1983, 16) In 1946, the war over, the British shifted their headquarters west to use the buildings the Americans had left at Point Cruz.
(Tedder 1966, 36) Once Honiara was established, Guadalcanal was administered from there with the District Commissioner Central in charge.
In late August 1942, Martin Clements, a Protectorate Officer who had become a coastwatcher (q.v.), was instructed by Resident Commissioner William Marchant (q.v.) (evacuated to Malaita) to resume his duties as District Officer of Guadalcanal.